Friday, November 13, 2009

5k - what was I thinking

Last Thursday night, my brother-in-law, Brian, asked me if I wanted to run a 5k on Saturday. I said "sure" and so we did. It was at Wheeler Farm in Murray. It was pretty cool to do it just for the accomplishment. I don't really like running, but like my Uncle Gery told me recently, when you get old and can't play sports anymore you have to do something to keep in shape. I think I am starting to fall into that category in my 28th year!

We ran at a pretty mild pace and finished in 26 minutes. It was much easier than when I ran it a few years ago with my little brother, Jeremy, in Bluffdale when we practically sprinted the whole thing (it seemed like it anyway). We didn't train for that one either. From what I remember, our time was around 22 minutes. That was torture!

You might notice dogs in every picture. We were wondering why there were hundreds of dogs. Then we realized the run was for some animal charity. We were dodging dogs on leashes the whole run. Kind of weird!

Looking pretty confident before the race


A sweet shot of the gun smoke. Good one Kalli!


We're in there somewhere


Left: a final sprint to the finish - I had to beat that old man! Right: happy to be done.


Not even phased by the whopping 3 miles!

6 comments:

richelle said...

Congratulations Joel! I'm impressed...

Lindsay said...

Way to go, Joel!!! I am so proud of you and Bryan!

Katie K said...

Good for you! I'm seriously jealous though. I run a 5k at the gym 3 days a week and my best time is 32 minutes. Darn you men.

Anonymous said...

Awesome job! You are amazing! Hey I referenced someone to your photoblog because I am not available for them to take family portraits. I hope that was okay!

nick and julie said...

It's weird to read your entries and wonder if Kalli's writing the entry or if it is Joel.... halfway through I finally figure it out. :) Yes, at first I thought it was Kalli running the race. No offense, Joel. Anyway... Way to Go Joel!!! julie

Waldo said...

Hey, I know this was posted only two months ago, but I just happened to pull it up while watching the BCS championship game. I just want to clear up that I CAN still play sports, it's just that nobody wants an old man on their team, and well, they never pass me the ball...Anyway, you may want to start training. Running is fun, but addictive...