Thursday, August 7, 2008

Tribute part 1


I love my husband Joel. He is such an amazing and wonderful person for so many reasons. One of the things I've been very greatful for these last couple months is his courage when facing horrible, disgusting, creapy crawly creatures (spiders). Anyone who knows me pretty well knows that I HATE spiders and am completely terrified of them. Well since we've lived in this basement I think I've seen more of them in the past 6 months than I have in the past 10 years, which hasn't been very easy for me (or Joel) to deal with. He has had to put up with me screaming for him to come to my rescue countless times. I've even woken him up with my screams when there was a spider that was crawling on me in the middle of the night (I think that was pretty traumatizing for both of us). After being around them for so long I'm finally able to kill them as long as they're not really really big, and as long as they're not fast (I only kill them when Joel's not home). Killing them for me requires lot's of hair spray (to slow them down), shoes on my feet (in case it runs towards me so I can step on it), and a hard pair of flat bottomed shoes in my hands (so they don't have any treds to hide in). Well it still amazes me that he will kill even the biggest spider with nothing more than a kleenex, shoe, or even his bare hands. Ohhhh I am so thankful that he will do that for me. If I see a spider I know I can count on him to kill it quickly (and not chase me around the house with it.......Dad!). I love it! He is truly my knight in shining armor.

5 comments:

baxtersrus said...

I love it, Kalli. When Chad and I were there once, Joel told us how scared you are and how you even shake. I think that's so funny, no offense. I'm actually jealous because I am the spider killer around here. My dad used to kill all the spiders for me, but I apparently married a wimp and he wouldn't kill them when we first got married. He's a little better now, but he used to just use your tactic and spray them with hairspray on the wall while holding a box underneath to catch them when they finally died! Now that we are not in an apartment I don't think he wants to dirty the wall with hairspray. Good luck with those, we've got some creepy ones lately, too.

Melissa said...

haha, Kalli you are so funny. Believe me, I hate the bugs too. Of all sorts. Spiders, nasty looking silverfish, you name it. They totally gross me out and I definitely use the "Jon! You have to kill it!!" line frequently. Seeing as we're about to move into a basement apartment, I'm a little nervous that I may start to encounter many more, which isn't so exciting for me, but I'll have to try the hairspray method.

I love the way you fixed Joel up in a spider killing uniform, you're hilarious. :) Wish we could hang out with you guys...

Oh and thanks for always commenting on our blog, I love it! We sure miss you guys!

Melissa said...

p.s. I love the new look of your blog! The colors totally remind me of your wedding, which of course makes me smile...since it was the last time we got to see any of you! :( It's been WAY too long.

KRiSTiN said...

Ha ha...I am SORRY you have SO many spiders...that is too bad! But, I am glad you have someone to kill them for you! What a good husband-Ian just sits and laughs at me when I am scared of things...like our snake out of its cage! Anyway, I love your new "design" on the blog-it looks really good!

Jon Smith said...

It sounds like us Smith's have a knack for being tough and heartless and manly (I mean that in the best way Jeni). Keep the spiders coming so we can earn our keep.

When you see a spider maybe this will help...try to think of them as being 3,000 times smaller than you, then maybe you won't be so scared :)

Jon